Wednesday, September 3, 2008

SAD DAY!

Well the sad part about Ryanns birthday was that my amazing G-ma Conrad had a stroke that day. My mom ended up flying out that afternoon to be with her. She was improving for the next couple of days and then suddenly took a turn for the worse and passed away on the 10th of August two days later. The positive side: she didn't suffer long, and she gets to be with my G-pa who passed away almost two years ago. The crappy side: I wasn't ready!!!!!!! I have heard so many stories of how wonderful other people think their grandparents are, but, let me tell you, they pale in comparison. I truly had the most amazing grandma in the world. We only got to see each other a couple times a year because she lived in Colorado, but, every time was special. She has traveled the world. My G-pa was a geologist so they moved about every one to three years. They lived all over the United States and stretching as far as Peru. Her stories about her life were amazing, she loved to share them and I loved to hear them. She and my G-pa loved the outdoors. I remember many a summer they would meet up with us at some camping spot. It was at one of these camping spots that my granparents gave me my first taste of Beer!! My mom was probably not pleased, but, no worries - I didn't like it! She once bribed me to keep my room clean. She said if I could keep it clean for one month she would get me a new bedroom set. I kept it clean long enough to get a new daybed (which I loved!), but, didn't maintain it long enough to get anything else. Whenever we went to her house she would take us shopping to pick out our favorite cereal. This was a special treat, because at home we were not allowed to eat sugar cereal. She also bought us new shoes and a new outfit. She was a firm believer that after highschool we move away to college. She wanted us to be independant, both financially and physically. I took her advice and moved away to college my freshman year. After a couple of days I called my mom crying and said "come get me, I am not staying her!" I was lonely and scared and didn't think that was the place for me. Well, my grandparents found out that I wanted to come home and they loaded up and headed over to me. They showed up the next day. They stayed with me through the weekend, took me to dinner, went and saw a movie - The River Runs Through It (the only movie I've ever seen with my grandparents), and reminded me of the importance of a college experience away from home. They then wrote me out a check and they were off (just kidding about the check). They made it better. Because of them I was able to endure a little longer. I ended up having one of the funnest years of my life. I made new friends that I still keep in touch with. They were right, going away from home for college was an amazing experience and a chance of a lifetime. She was a fierce competitor when it came to cards, and she was famous for doing whatever it took to win. She loved the news and current events. Everytime we talked on the phone she would ask who I was voting for and why? One of her last trips over was when she came for Ryann's blessing. I was so grateful that she got to meet her. She truly was an amazing woman and I am so blessed to have had her in my life. We were kindred spirits, I always joked that I was her favorite, I truly believe we had a connection. Grandma I will miss you terribly and look forward to the day we meet again. I Love You!

4 comments:

Chris and Erin said...

She sounds like a wonderful woman and Grandma I am sorry for your loss. I had not heard that she had passed. Please give your mom my condulences.

Kimi said...

I love to hear family stories like this. I just think family should be the most important parts of life. I am glad you had such a wonderful relationship.

A day in life of the Pritchetts said...

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't like this part of our lives so much where we get older, and start losing our loved ones. But I'm glad you had such a sweet relationship with her. Not that that fixes anything, I know better than that.

DeAynne said...

Natalie:

There is a quote by Neal A Maxwell that talks about how each and every person that leaves the earth is ready and needed for the work on the other side. I understand that, but in the same breath, I thought to myself, but I NEED my Grams. My Grams passed away on the 31st of August, and I was not ready!!! I understand your feelings and know how hard it is. I have "moments" each and every day. I miss her and can't wait to be with her. However, last week Kevan and I went to the temple and it was AMAZING. I can't even begin to tell you what I felt. I loved being reminded how thin the veil really is!! How grateful I am for the gospel. I just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts. Have a happy day. DeAynne Locke Baker